the sweet green life

the sweet green life
My sweet depiction

Monday 29 July 2013

Every little idea counts


As the school days draw to a close for the summer, I am left with a sense of loss for the lack of breakthrough in my students understanding of their impact on our environment. It's a daunting task to motivate these youngsters but it is not impossible. I may lack many things as a teacher and mentor, but one thing I do have is hope. Don't misunderstand me, my students are very aware of my passion for the environment as well as have worked along with me to understand the important issues surrounding our environment. Still I can't help but feel that more could be done, more could have been said, researched, more ideas could have inspired in the kids. There are many things that I still want to do but know that it will be another year of ...Longing. Despite all this I can't help but think that these ideas of making and reusing will still impact my students to think about their use of everyday things. Eco crafting has been really big of late and this is evident in the shows and events happening in Toronto-
wherever young people meet. It's nothing new in many other places- specially in third world countries where necessity has sparked creativity. It's admirable to see wrappers converted to bags, wallets, coin purses, etc. or plastic bottles being turned into lamp decorations, or even into walls for shelter. Ideas are what can continue to bring hope into our world. I think for next year, I will try to inspire creativity amongst my young pupils so that they too can be filled with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment